IF IT’S GREEN – IT’S A LINK!
Upcoming Meetings of Note
- Commission Meeting Schedule 2017
- Executive Committee July 21, 2017, Meeting Agenda
- First 5 Kern Commission Meeting August 2, 2017
- Technical Advisory Committee Meeting Schedule 2017
Kern Valley Aquatics Program is in full swing! This post was featured recently on First 5 Kern social media sites!
Drowning is a Silent Killer
- In Kern 120 children were hospitalized and 49 died from drowning between 2003 and 2013
- Drowning is the leading cause of death for toddlers 1- to 4-years-old. Drowning is Preventable
- City of Bakersfield’s Recreation and Parks “Make a Splash“, funded by First 5 Kern provides life-saving water safety education programs including parent certification CPR, first aid and water safety education, parent/child swim lessons and recreational swimming.
- Kern Valley Aquatics Program, funded by First 5 Kern provides American Red Cross certified water safety and injury prevention education, and swim lessons for 0- to 5-year-olds.
- Other resources:
- Drowning Prevention Foundation – includes informing videos, tips, and more
- California Drowning Preventing
- Four step safety video ENGLISH SPANISH
- Pool safety song video
- Water safety in the bathroom and pool
- Octopus handout for kids ENGLISH SPANISH
- Pool safety coloring page ENGLISH SPANISH
- Boat safety coloring page ENGLISH SPANISH
Newly released documents
- 2017-2018 Strategic Plan
- Town Hall Meeting Recaps
Immunizations in Your Neighborhood
July / En Espanol July / English
First 5 Kern – Funded Programs Guide 072417
JULY 2017 – Purple Ribbon Month Launch, Kern County Dept. of Human ServicesOver 50 attendees and 30 children attended the 2017 Purple Ribbon Month Launch
- JUNE 2017 – Marycela Tamez, Supervisor of the Medically Vulnerable Infant Program. Tamez shared at the June, First 5 Kern Commissioner’s meeting serves 86 infants born at 31 weeks or earlier. Parents receive at least two visits each month from nurses.
BOARD OF SUPERVISOR PRESENTATION – “First 5 is dedicated to keeping our elected officials informed, as well as the community, such as the 12 Town Hall meetings recently held,” said First 5 Kern Executive Director Roland Maier (standing, left). A Cost Benefit Analysis is being developed by Dr. Wang (standing, right) and will be published next year to quantify long-term impact of First 5 Kern services via 40 programs, aligning with local priorities. “The analysis will track the value of First 5 Kern for local children, their families, and the community – and evaluate multilevel cost savings under the Commission leadership,” Maier added.
- TOWN HALL MEETINGS – Town Hall meetings were held in 12 locations across Kern with approximately 350 people in attendance across the county.
LEFT: Monica Diggs of Shafter Healthy Start welcomes a parent to the Town Hall.See more Town Hall photos visit: www.Facebook.com/First5Kern/