Parent / Caregiver Resource Library
Kern County Libraries
- Immigration Rights ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Know Your Rights Video
- Know Your Rights Cards ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Family Preparedness Plan ENGLISH | SPANISH
- California Family Preparedness Webinar
Racism and Violence
- Guidelines “Using your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five
- Safe Sleep Coalition of Kern: Kern Medical, Adventist Health, Dignity Health, First 5 Kern, Kern Dept of Public Health, Kern County Human Services, Clinica Sierra Vista, CAPK, Kern County Network for Children, Love INC, and the Kern Literacy Council
- Air Mattresses are NOT for Infants
- CDC Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- CPSC Cautions Caregivers about Hidden Hazards for Babies on Adult Beds English | Spanish
- FAQs about Safe SleepLearn How to Put Your Baby to Sleep Safely
- Myths and Facts
- Playpens and Soft Bedding-Suffocation Risk-English | Spanish
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- Safe Sleep Environment Tool
- Top Tips for Baby Safety Month-English | Spanish
- What does a Safe Sleep Environment Look Like?
Children and Stress
Care, Cope Connect Book – ENGLISH / SPANISH
A downloadable booklet to help parents engage in difficult conversations with young children e.g. “You are not alone” calming exercises, Elmo hug coloring activity, a Muppet memory game, and an emergency plan template for families should become separated (e.g. deportation or emergency). This workbook will be helpful for any family coping or preparing for a time of heightened stress. Created by the Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, in collaboration with First 5 Association of California, the National Council of La Raza and The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights.
- First 5 / Sesame Street – Traumatic Experiences
- Raising Children in Turbulent Times
- Trauma and Stress, Zero-to-Three
- Childhood Trauma
- Helping Young Children Who’ve Experienced Trauma: Policies and Strategies for Early Care and Education
- Meet the Birds Activity Center
- Babies- Learn how talking can be fun, singing songs helps babies brains develop and a parent’s singing voice – even if they feel or sound silly – is magic to a baby’s ears.
- Toddlers – Toddlers use their senses and motor skills to explore the world. Help toddlers express creativity, develop language skills, and learn to problem solve.
- Preschoolers – Preschoolers use their physical abilities to achieve more challenging tasks. Help nurture a child’s motor skills, improve memory and communication skills.
- Get the app! The Talk. Read. Sing. app changes everything!
- Free Book Download – Potter the Otter a Tale About Water
- The Learning Center – Brain development; a child’s ability; the parent’s role; milestones; a second language; developmental delays; and what is literacy? Language development; motor skills; preschool; and child care.
- The Health Center – Nutrition; physical activity; oral health; checkups; vaccinations; when kids get sick; special needs; and safety.
- FREE videos, handouts, color pages, posters, and more.
- Born Learning Trail – Park locations that have Born Learning Trails in Kern (by United Way of Kern County).
- SINGING with your baby tip sheet. Create your own lullaby; video to create your own lullaby.
- Benadryl – Misusing Benadryl
- Study shows 1 in 12 mothers “regularly dosed children with sleep-inducing medication…”
- BabyCenter.com – From pregnancy through each age of development, pregnancy calendar and calculator (including ovulation), baby names, fetal development, food and recipes and more.
- Kern County Breastfeeding Coalition Directory – Visit the Coalition’s website.
- Car Safety – in and around the car
- Car Seat Safety and Local Check Sites
- Cerebral Palsy Group– Cerebral Palsy information, resources, and support. Cerebral Palsy Guide
- Child Development Resources – A continuously evolving list of selected web sites providing health and safety tips and information applicable to child care settings.
- Child Health and Disability Prevention – CHDP services are for eligible low-income children from birth to 19 years and children on Medi-Cal from birth to 21 years. CHDP offers periodic preventive health assessments and services available to eligible children who appear well and also to children with existing health problems.
- Developmental Milestones Matter – From birth to age five, a child should reach milestones in how they play, learn, speak, act and move. This site includes videos and quizzes to determine if a child is on track. Baby Steps VIDEO.
- Health Insurance for Kern County Kids
- Kids Health – Infections; diseases and conditions; nutrition and fitness; pregnancy and baby; emotions and behavior; school and family life; first aid and safety; doctors and hospitals; recipes; and en Espanol.
- Postpartum Support – You are not alone. One in seven women suffers from postpartum depression. Get help during; be aware; help for dads; training; tools and more.
- Read Aloud 15 – Reading aloud is the “single most important activity” parents can do to prepare their child for reading and learning.
- Reading for Children Ages 5 and Under
- Reading is Fundamental – Booklists, games, activities, and apps.
- Recalls and Alerts
- Smoking and Kids Don’t Mix – Smoking information sheet; 1-800-NO_BUTTS Tobacco Free; Tobacco Free Kids
- Umbilical Cord Blood – With over 80 diseases treated and new therapies discovered every year, your baby’s cord blood only becomes more valuable.
- Zero To Three – Information for parents; training and support for professionals and policymakers; early development and well-being; ages and stages; challenging behaviors; school readiness; temperment; trauma and stress; discipline; and more.