Parent / Caregiver Resource Library
Kern County Libraries
NOR Community Activities for 0 to 5-year-olds
- Immigration Rights ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Know Your Rights Video
- Know Your Rights Cards ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Family Preparedness Plan ENGLISH | SPANISH
- California Family Preparedness Webinar
Racism and Violence
- Guidelines “Using your Power as a Parent to Support Children Aged Two to Five
- Safe Sleep Coalition of Kern: Kern Medical, Adventist Health, Dignity Health, First 5 Kern, Kern Dept of Public Health, Kern County Human Services, Clinica Sierra Vista, CAPK, Kern County Network for Children, Love INC, and the Kern Literacy Council. Meets the second Friday, 10am, First 5 Kern, 2724 L Street, Bakersfield.
- Air Mattresses are NOT for Infants
- CDC Preventing Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
- CPSC Cautions Caregivers about Hidden Hazards for Babies on Adult Beds English | Spanish
- FAQs about Safe SleepLearn How to Put Your Baby to Sleep Safely
- Myths and Facts
- Playpens and Soft Bedding-Suffocation Risk-English | Spanish
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- Safe Sleep Environment Tool
- Top Tips for Baby Safety Month-English | Spanish
- What does a Safe Sleep Environment Look Like?
Children and Stress
Care, Cope Connect Book – ENGLISH / SPANISH
A downloadable booklet to help parents engage in difficult conversations with young children e.g. “You are not alone” calming exercises, Elmo hug coloring activity, a Muppet memory game, and an emergency plan template for families should become separated (e.g. deportation or emergency). This workbook will be helpful for any family coping or preparing for a time of heightened stress. Created by the Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit organization behind Sesame Street, in collaboration with First 5 Association of California, the National Council of La Raza and The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights.
- First 5 / Sesame Street – Traumatic Experiences
- Raising Children in Turbulent Times
- Trauma and Stress, Zero-to-Three
- Childhood Trauma
- Helping Young Children Who’ve Experienced Trauma: Policies and Strategies for Early Care and Education
- Meet the Birds Activity Center
- Babies- Learn how talking can be fun, singing songs helps babies brains develop and a parent’s singing voice – even if they feel or sound silly – is magic to a baby’s ears.
- Toddlers – Toddlers use their senses and motor skills to explore the world. Help toddlers express creativity, develop language skills, and learn to problem solve.
- Preschoolers – Preschoolers use their physical abilities to achieve more challenging tasks. Help nurture a child’s motor skills, improve memory and communication skills.
- Get the app! The Talk. Read. Sing. app changes everything!
- Free Book Download – Potter the Otter a Tale About Water
- The Learning Center – Brain development; a child’s ability; the parent’s role; milestones; a second language; developmental delays; and what is literacy? Language development; motor skills; preschool; and child care.
- The Health Center – Nutrition; physical activity; oral health; checkups; vaccinations; when kids get sick; special needs; and safety.
- FREE videos, handouts, color pages, posters, and more.
- Born Learning Trail – Park locations that have Born Learning Trails in Kern (by United Way of Kern County).
- SINGING with your baby tip sheet. Create your own lullaby; video to create your own lullaby.
- Benadryl – Misusing Benadryl
- Study shows 1 in 12 mothers “regularly dosed children with sleep-inducing medication…”
- BabyCenter.com – From pregnancy through each age of development, pregnancy calendar and calculator (including ovulation), baby names, fetal development, food and recipes and more.
- Kern County Breastfeeding Coalition Directory – Visit the Coalition’s website.
- Car Safety – in and around the car
- Car Seat Safety and Local Check Sites
- Cerebral Palsy Group– Cerebral Palsy information, resources, and support. Cerebral Palsy Guide
- Child Development Resources – A continuously evolving list of selected web sites providing health and safety tips and information applicable to child care settings.
- Child Health and Disability Prevention – CHDP services are for eligible low-income children from birth to 19 years and children on Medi-Cal from birth to 21 years. CHDP offers periodic preventive health assessments and services available to eligible children who appear well and also to children with existing health problems.
- Developmental Milestones Matter – From birth to age five, a child should reach milestones in how they play, learn, speak, act and move. This site includes videos and quizzes to determine if a child is on track. Baby Steps VIDEO.
- Health Insurance for Kern County Kids
- Kids Health – Infections; diseases and conditions; nutrition and fitness; pregnancy and baby; emotions and behavior; school and family life; first aid and safety; doctors and hospitals; recipes; and en Espanol.
- Postpartum Support – You are not alone. One in seven women suffers from postpartum depression. Get help during; be aware; help for dads; training; tools and more.
- Read Aloud 15 – Reading aloud is the “single most important activity” parents can do to prepare their child for reading and learning.
- Reading for Children Ages 5 and Under
- Reading is Fundamental – Booklists, games, activities, and apps.
- Recalls and Alerts
- Smoking and Kids Don’t Mix – Smoking information sheet; 1-800-NO_BUTTS Tobacco Free; Tobacco Free Kids
- Umbilical Cord Blood – With over 80 diseases treated and new therapies discovered every year, your baby’s cord blood only becomes more valuable.
- Zero To Three – Information for parents; training and support for professionals and policymakers; early development and well-being; ages and stages; challenging behaviors; school readiness; temperment; trauma and stress; discipline; and more.